Love and hope is holding us together

Wednesday, Sept 23, 2020

Sunset cruise on West Wind II , April 2020

Glenn remains in critical but stable condition in the ICU and is expected to be ready for transfer to Victoria within 5 – 7 days, god willing. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the ICU has a strict no visitor policy therefore, we must remain in Canada and await his return. We’re in daily communications with his medical team in San Jose and we feel assured that they are doing everything possible to keep him comfortable, safe, and well looked after. Our family physician here in Victoria has been at our side from the beginning of this ordeal providing logistical coordination for Glenn’s transfer and emotional support to our family.
We love you Dr. H.

Many of you have reached out with messages of love and hope and for us, they are the glue keeping our family together and we are so thankful for all of you.

We want to share a heartwarming moment our family had amidst this otherwise dark time that I think you may also feel buoyed by. It comes in the form of an email from the Rear Admiral and Commander of the Eleventh Coast Guard District in Alameda, California. It was the women and men in his command who were responsible for coordinating Glenn’s rescue from West Wind II.

Here’s an excerpt from the Admiral’s reply to our note of thanks.

“Ma’am,
Although you may be surprised to hear it, I’ve rarely received an email like yours in over 31 years of service.  Thank you for taking the time to compose such a thoughtful email.

Please know that Coast Guard women and men live for the opportunity to save those in peril on the sea, and that we are overjoyed we were able to be part of this rescue.”

Many of you have asked how we, his family, are doing and I want you all to know that this is a devastating and uncertain journey for us and we appreciate your kindness and compassion. We feel supported by so many who have reached out to offer the gift of your company, nourishing food, and sharing the link to the GoFundMe Campaign across your networks, all of which is so appreciated. Others have offered support and information that may assist in the retrieval of West Wind II and we have a group of dear friends who are at this moment working towards that.

We are keenly aware and sensitive to the fact that Glenn is a close and treasured friend to many of you and his unfortunate situation is personal for you and hits hard. As one friend so poignantly put it,

“I think (if it gives you any peace with this) the reason why this tugs at all of us is because it strikes so many chords at the same time. Our sense of adventure through Glenn and his courage, our fear of the same thing happening and mostly preventing guys like me from jumping off, our compassion for your entire family and our sense of charity to our sailing community are all somewhat rattled.” 

We’ll provide more relevant information as we receive it. His family continues to hold space for a miracle and Glenn’s safe return home soon.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Update on Glenn and Go Fund Me Campaign

September 21, 2020 @1800

MaryLou and the girls would like to begin by thanking all of you who have reached out with support. We are feeling comforted by your kindness.

We would like to update you on Glenn’s status.

Glenn is currently stable, in critical condition in ICU in a hospital in California following a massive stroke.

We are working hard to Bring Glenn Home with the help of so many people here in Canada and the U.S.

Glenn did not anticipate touching U.S. soil and as such does not have U.S. medical insurance. We have created a GoFundMe page to help raise funds to resolve his U.S. medical bills and bring him home to Victoria for care.

You can find a link to our GoFundMe at the top of the every page.

Glenn’s family would like to thank our many friends who have shown kindness and generosity during this most difficult time. From our local medical team working behind the scenes to coordinate Glenn’s return home, those in the sailing community working tirelessly on a plan to recover West Wind II, and to the friends who have provided us meals, we are forever grateful for all of you and your efforts.

Update on Glenn

September 18 @ 19:00

This update is from MaryLou, Glenn’s wife, and our two daughters Claire and Nicola from our home in Victoria.

Firstly, we would like to extend our gratitude for your messages and all the support from so many friends through this very challenging time.

We would like to let you know that Glenn is currently safe, in a hospital in California and is receiving exceptional medical care. At this time we are awaiting the results of multiple assessments that will give us a more complete picture of his condition.

We are hoping for the best possible outcome for Glenn and will provide further updates about his condition as they become available.

With gratitude,

MaryLou, Claire and Nicola

Assistance

Thursday, Sept 17, 13:30

Glenn has sent a message asking for medical assistance. We are in communication with the US Coast Guard who is at this moment providing support.

Please hold Glenn in your thoughts. We are all hoping for the best.

We will provide updates when they are available.

It’s getting real

Day 9 Sept 14 39.24 N, 131.45 @ 14:15 6.5 knots

Recovering from my first full gale last night. All is well and no gear broken, or bones! I have to admit I should have just chosen the other tack and headed for shore. I’m headed back to where I started yesterday afternoon. Once I had committed last night conditions quickly deteriorated and tacking in big seas on a very dark night with water coming over the deck was not a good idea so I shortened sail got comfortable and waited it out. Things always look better in the morning in the light of day and we are on a much better course with the wind just off the nose and heading down the coast. My routine for heavy weather is coming back and some of the changes I made for Vic – Maui race are taking a while to get used to. Moving the main sheet traveller aft of the tiller would have worked better with crew on board but for me by myself it’s a bit out of reach. I secured the windward running back stay tackle to aft of the rail to give the mast more support in the big sea running last night. It helps steady the mast in those conditions.  

I’m very much missing getting emails and having conversations with people on Winlink. I’m going to try and talk to some ham land stations just like I talked to Cliff and Alek. Missing our conversations the most. those ties for me are very important to keep me grounded out here.

It’s always the way that once I actually put myself here on the boat that it gets real – the scale of the voyage and what it’s going to take to make it successful.