Day 84 Keep calm and carry on 24/11/13

Nov 24, 2013 GABPosition: 42.52 S, 129.31 E 

This morning the wind blew from the N, a steady 30 knots with 3-4 metre breaking waves. We were pooped several times and filled the cockpit which drained very quickly and I, who was in the cockpit at the time, also drained very quickly. Less than an hour later the wind shifted from the North to the West. The sea conditions were untenable and when I tacked to head North, I was met with the same 3 metre waves I was running with, not one hour before. The seascape looks like icing on a cake – waves almost jumping into the sky as they collide with each other. Sailing into this is next to impossible so I will probably stay here until the waves settle down and the wind builds a little more, hopefully tomorrow. The waves shake all the wind out of the sails and leave them thrashing around, so I’ve taken them down. I’ve had a good run for the past five days so will be patient until the situation improves.

I had a seal with me this morning, playing in the cresting waves that surrounded us.  I ‘talked’ to him as he swam beside us for five or ten minutes, diving in and out, rolling around, completely at home in the turbulent cold sea. The steering line on the Fleming has parted and I have replaced it with pieces from the last two. These times are far from calm as the motion is rather unpredictable and a little dangerous to move around in. So, as the British would say, I’m going to ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’.

QuotesCover WWII

Calm seas on West Wind II near Victoria, BC

Course 020 Speed 2 knots Wind W 10 knots Waves N 2.5 3 m, W1.5 m Cloud 75% Temp (inside) 13.8 C Baro 1005 Miles in last 24 hrs: 140 nm Volts 13.13


  1. Hi Glenn
    My mom has a saying that I find myself saying in times of challenge…..”And this too will pass” and eventually it does! Cups of tea….lots of sugar ….or honey and know that this time will seem so incidental at the finish … take time to take time! xoxox

  2. steve sonneveld says

    Are you lying a-hull or hove to? My experience is hove to is more comfortable and probably safer. Either way you go backwards for a day. Steve

  3. Pat and Fred Lark says

    Hi Glenn Keep Calm and Carry On is great advice. Patience in your case is an excellent tool to have. For that matter patience for anyone is an excellent virtue. Thanks for the reminder Glenn. Grey Cup festivities are over and hopefully back to normal. Sounds like you are keeping Body, Mind,and Spirit in balance under challenging conditions with little respite. As always we are keeping an eye on you. Take care. Oh and hi Marylou! Pat and Fred

    • MaryLou Wakefield says

      Hi you two. I would say his cup doesn’t runeth over with patience, but he’s certainly getting more than lots of practice.

  4. Dear Glenn,

    Many years ago I decided to paddle down the route of the voyageurs from the bottom of Lake Nippissing in northern Ontario, down the French River towards Georgian Bay. On the first day we were wind blown and had to hide from the wind on a small island. We had become exhausted from paddling against the waves and headwind. As this was our first day out, I worried that we could be stuck here for days, run out of food, and not complete our canoe trip as planned. We explored the small island, played cards, ate trailmix and waited. We pondered the lives of Canada’s early travellers. With our food and gear a modern improvement, we guessed that we had it much better than them, except that their canoes held perhaps 8 men and we were just one boy and girl so our progress was slower against these blustery elements. In time, later in the afternoon, the lake calmed and we continued our journey. Being patient and waiting for your chance is an important survival success strategy. So hang in there Glenn and take another cup of tea. PS is it really only 13.8 celsius inside your cabin? Doug

Speak Your Mind