Day 17 Into the Wind 9/18/13

Sept 18, 2013 noon

Position: 24. 05 N, 139. 00 W @ 19:00 UTC*

*Note: Time will now be reported in UTC – Universal Time Coordinated (UTC is +7 hours from Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) 

Listen to Glenn’s audio report courtesy of Ron Kolody, ham radio operator in Vancouver.

At 5:30 this morning I lay in my nice warm bunk listening to the main and jib slatting on deck. I got up, found my glasses, put on my shorts and shoes, and my safety harness. The near full moon cast enough light through the cloud cover so I didn’t need my head light. My safety tether has one end clipped through the main (sail) traveller line, just outside the companion way.  The other end lies ready to hook to my harness. I take the first two steps up the companionway, grab the snap shackle and clip it on my harness.This is now a routine. 
(Editor’s note: Glad to hear it!) 

The wind had definitely lightened up with the two reefs in the main and the jib rolled in deeply.  The wind was coming aft of the port quarter, maybe 5 – 10 knots, the sea was running about a metre to a metre and a half. I got the first reef out with not much trouble and rolled out the jib as well. I realized we were slightly off course. Each time I adjust the sails, the wind vane and course usually need to be adjusted as well. 

The wind has been very fickle, first very light, then blowing up to 20 knots, then back down again. In an effort to keep going and stop the sails from being damaged, I’ve tried hard to keep a happy ship, but the wind and seaway have run me ragged.

This morning we were sailing off the wind and the wind was rising (which makes reefing very difficult as the sail is jammed up against the shrouds) and I got the reefing lines jammed. I found it difficult to get the main up or down. In order to free the reefing line which had jumped in the shiv in the boom at the goose neck I had to thread the reefing line back up the boom and then put it on the main halyard winch to get it unjammed then rethread it back down the the goose neck making sure it got back on its shiv properly. All this while the wind was rising and some guy was throwing buckets of water over my head!  

It’s now 9:30 a.m. and throughout this whole time I have been up and down on deck taking sail in, letting it out. I’m beat and ready for a bowl of porridge.

Heading: 210 True Boat speed: 4 knots Wind: NE 5-10 Knots Cloud cover: 100% Waves: NE 1.5 metres Distance last 24 hr:150 nm

Updated position at 0:3:45 UTC    23. 22 N, 129. 13 W  




  1. Pat and Fred Lark says

    Hi Glenn,
    We agree with the Editor’s note regarding the harness. You are a very precious cargo and worth the effort. Porridge is the best! I am embarrassed to say but sometimes I need to check my dictionary as I am not familiar with all the sailing terms. Any good reads you would recommend regarding sailing adventures? The prairies are quickly showing us her beautiful autumn colors. I am wishing for a long autumn and short winter. Hope you receive fair weather and always remember we are keeping an eye on you.

    Pat and Fred

  2. Michael layland says

    Hi Glenn,
    Delighted to hear your steady progress! It sounds like you’ve just encountered the fringe of your first Pacific storm — Hurricane Manuel — all this corrective adjustment you’ve had to attend to will stand you in good stead for when you get further south. Keep up the spirits and safety-conscious determination!

  3. Graham Barnard says

    Your making good head way, do you have Maple syup for the porridge?
    Cheers, Graham.

Speak Your Mind